West Coast Swing is a flirtatious dance that combines the mood of the blues with the spontaneity of swing.
This stylized Swing dance popular west of the Mississippi from Kansas to California. Danced to slow or medium tempo Swing or Disco music and characterized by slot movements, taps and shuffles, coaster steps, and push and pull action of the dancers.
In the 1940’s with the wild abandonment of the Jitterbug being banned from dance halls due to too many injuries, Arthur Murray developed and documented several swing steps that he later called “Sophisticated Swing”.
West Coast Swing Songs and Artists Include:
- Some Kind of Wonderful – Joss Stone
- Somethin’ to Talk About – Bonnie Raite
- Take Back the Night – Justin Timberlake
- Addicted to Love-Robert Palmer
- Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones