What song tells your love story? Finding the right song for your first dance as newlyweds is just step one. Planning out choreography so that you both can feel comfortable, confident and prepared is the second step. Here’s a list of some popular first dance songs. Feel free to bring your favorite to your wedding dance lessons, or your instructor can provide music for you. Questions? Contact the Arthur Murray Dance Studio now.
Top Wedding Songs
- A Thousand Years by Christina Perri – A 2011 hit, “A Thousand Years” has a sweet, gentle melody and tells of a love story that lasts forever. It goes great with a waltz and has been used by couples everywhere for their wedding day — even Twilight’s Edward and Bella.
- God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton – A blend of country and pop, this song is perfect for couples who want something a little more upbeat. Even though the melody is faster, the lyrics aptly express the love newlyweds feel for each other.
- Can’t Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley – First recorded by Elvis Presley in 1961, this song has withstood the test of time. Go for a more modern rendition of the song by Hailey Reinhart or Twenty One Pilots.
- It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill – A Grammy award-winning country song from 1997, this song is another classic choice for the first dance. The chorus, “It’s your love/ It just does something to me/ It sends a shock right through me/ I can’t get enough,” is sure to stir up some tears.
- Amazed by Lonestar – With a country/contemporary sound, this song has been a go-to choice for the first dance since 1999. The chorus begins, “I don’t know how you do what you do/ I’m so in love with you/ It just keeps getting better.”
- Perfect by Ed Sheeran – For the couples who want a more current song for their first dance, you can’t go wrong with this one from Ed Sheeran. His chart-topping music will capture the whole audience’s attention. Not to mention, this song has been recorded as a duet with Beyoncé and Andrea Bocelli, letting you choose the perfect version for you and your loved one.
Get Ready for Your Big Day
As you and your spouse-to-be get ready to celebrate your special day, sign up to take wedding dance lessons together. It’s the perfect way to bond in the months and weeks leading up to the wedding. And once you’ve practiced your routine, you’ll both be able to feel more confident and enjoy the moment on the dance floor. Contact the Arthur Murray Dance Studio for more information.